Phonics and Reading:
Here at West Row Academy we strive to motivate all children to develop a lifelong love of reading. We aim to transform our children into confident, enthusiastic and reflective readers with a firm understanding of what it is to be a reader with high aspirations. It is important to have well established communication links with our parents so that they feel connected to our schools’ ambitions. With this lifelong love of reading established within our pupils through our school and home reading programmes we hope that we will Empower our children and ready them for their futures.
We explicitly teach phonics decoding skills daily, using the synthetic phonics programme, Little Wandle Letters and Sounds. We understand that effective, evidence-based reading instruction has five essential components: phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary and comprehension. We therefore ensure that our pupils are given lots of opportunities to listen to and read a wide range of texts. Our daily phonics sessions are followed up with three, 30 minute reading practice sessions per week based on a phonically decodable book. These reading practice sessions focus on three key reading skills: decoding, prosody (reading with meaning) and comprehension. Our school also provides a literature-rich environment where our pupils experience reading authentic literature and familiar materials in a variety of contexts across the curriculum.
Early Intervention for pupils with reading difficulties is crucial, and we ensure that children are assessed half-termly so that these children are quickly identified so that we can put additional support in place to meet their needs.
- Enable every child to develop and progress in terms of their social, moral, spiritual and cultural development
- Ensure that every child makes progress from their starting points
- Teach pupils so that skills and knowledge is progressive whilst making this apparent to our learners
- Make connections to and within our local community through the power of reading
- Broaden our children’s experiences beyond our locality
- reflect all-embracing beliefs, rooted both in traditional British Values and those of our Academy
- Enrich pupils through carefully planned trips, visitors and experiences
- Develop our children’s vocabulary, reasoning skills, oracy and understanding of the world around them to prepare them to be resilient citizens of the future
- Prepare children to be ambitious in an ever-changing world
- Be certain that all of our children are securely prepared for the next stages in their educational careers
- ‘Reading for pleasure is the single biggest factor in success later in life, outside of education. Study after study has shown that those children who read for pleasure are the ones who are most likely to fulfil their ambitions. If your child reads, they will succeed – it’s that simple.’ Bali Rai.
- At West Row Academy, we work to instil a love of reading, because we understand the importance that reading plays in developing children’s confidence and in allowing them full access to all areas of the curriculum. We want to ensure that our pupils are ready for the next stage of their education and provide them with crucial skills and knowledge which will aid their future success.